do you guys remember that one post about how men feel entitled to take up so much space and women have to deal with a lot less?
This is actually a documented thing. You always see men on the subway or tube or whatever using both armrests while women sit with their arms hunched together into their laps. That’s why I always make a point to take up at least one if not both armrests of the tube so men can be uncomfortable for once.
^ again, for all the people telling me posting this picture is complaining too much.
In my college classes (and high school too) guys were always stretching, sticking fists and elbows in my face, leaning their heads back over my desk, over my work, spreading their legs out, kicking my bag with their dirty shoes. And let’s not pretend they were in other guys’ space as much as they were in women’s.
It’s so true, this happens to me every day on the train. Same with the walking thing, women will weave out of the way whereas men just walk straight and plow down anything in their path. I always end up playing chicken with men on the sidewalk now, because I refuse to move out of their way.
I love playing chicken with dudes who hog the sidewalk. BODY CHECK! Fucking assholes.
“NOT ALL MEN ARE LIKE THIS!” FUCK OFF.
“AS A MAN, I THINK THAT…” FUCK OFF.
Men always have the same defensive bullshit to spout every time they get called out on their shit. AND IT IS BORING. They remind me of those toys where you pull a string an they have like 5 phrases they can say. Over and over and over.
same here with playing chicken, its hilarious sometimes because they get this flash of realization in their eyes that says ‘holy shit, she’s NOT going to move/??? what do????’ because THEY ARE SO USED TO EVERYONE MOVING FOR THEM
when i was younger my grandpa drew this on a piece of paper,
and he asked me how i, as the red circle, would get around the two people (black circles) if i was walking down the street.
so of course i came back with
moving out of the way for them as i walked.
he asked me if i thought men would do the same and, at the time, i did because i thought it was just common courtesy. but he told me that men would barrel straight through without giving a shit and that i should do the exact same. because i was the one walking and they were the ones in the way. so that’s exactly what i do.
i find this really fascinating because this actually what defines so-called masculine and feminine traits and gestures. the whole limp-wrist thing? that’s someone decreasing the amount of space they take up by not extending their arm fully. same with crossing one’s legs, how it’s considered more masculine to swing your shoulders when you walk creating a wider gait instead of your hips, how someone who holds their elbows tightly into their torso instead of letting them fall more loosely at their sides is considered feminine.
taking up space is not just a frequent habit of males in our culture, its actually how society thinks masculinity is supposed to be expressed.
This is my answer when people say eating disorders are personal problems and have nothing to do with sexism. Women literally socialized to take up as little space as possible all day every day.
84037 Notes/ Hide
- grey-mess likes this
- grey-mess reblogged this from tsonishepard
- roasty-toastyprincess likes this
- roasty-toastyprincess reblogged this from touch-me-before-i-go-insane
- nazgwen reblogged this from shingeki-no-yumikuri
- whatswiththeleftphalange likes this
- whatswiththeleftphalange reblogged this from bookmad
- thefaultinourdivergentminds reblogged this from bookmad
- rangedmarshmallow likes this
- hdharris802 likes this
- unexpectedways likes this
- dustoffmyhighesthopes reblogged this from buhaybabae
- thefascination reblogged this from alibewbz
- findmeunderthecherryblossoms reblogged this from touch-me-before-i-go-insane
- nittiotvaan reblogged this from shingeki-no-yumikuri
- alibewbz reblogged this from touch-me-before-i-go-insane
- shingeki-no-yumikuri reblogged this from tsonishepard
- its-nico-you-whore reblogged this from bookmad
- rutaskadis likes this
- alibewbz likes this
- caviaartifex reblogged this from tsonishepard
- caviaartifex likes this
- kinonai likes this
- jazzy-the-fabulous-kitty likes this
- the-death-ly-hallows likes this
- partoftheocean likes this
- onedirectioner-sarah reblogged this from emmacent
- onedirectioner-sarah likes this
- tsonishepard reblogged this from selenetheicequeen
- theredheadedmissy likes this
- day-dr3aming-in-wond3rland likes this
- selenetheicequeen reblogged this from stitchingthesky
- selenetheicequeen likes this
- feelingdanielpadilla likes this
- babaeengnbsb likes this
- moreinlovewithyoueveryday likes this
- eruhans reblogged this from bookmad
- malienchanted likes this
- eruhans likes this
- scribblingwoman likes this
- foreveryoungforevertrue reblogged this from buhaybabae
- emmacent reblogged this from bookmad
- touch-me-before-i-go-insane reblogged this from mechanicalbride98
- traveltheworldwithaflaskoftea reblogged this from bookmad
- dyosangmakulit likes this
- keepingupwithyna reblogged this from buhaybabae